Friday, December 2, 2011

Night Three (Sean's sleep routine)

Let me start off by saying how much last night SUCKED!!  If you read my blog post last night, Sean went to bed much quicker and i was thrilled. He was asleep by 8:13pm well at 9:40pm he woke back up.  I didn't know what to do since he had only slept for 1 1/2 hours....  I decided to pick him up and hold him and let him know everything was okay then i placed him back in his crib.  He was mad, he was screaming blood murder, by 10pm I decided to go get him and try to nurse him (but not to sleep) I put him back in bed by 10:10pm and again the screaming started.  By 11pm I couldn't do it anymore, so I picked him up and rocked him to sleep, it wasn't long and he was asleep.  I went to put him in his crib asleep at 11:10pm and he woke up instantly.  I decided to leave him there for a little bit to see if he could put himself to sleep... at 11:30pm I gave up and slept with him on the couch. He tossed and turned all night and we both had a horrible nights sleep.
This set the tone for the day...   Sean was cranky all day and refused to nap.  It felt like I fought him all day long to take a nap and finally he would fall asleep and in 20 minutes he was back up.  I was beyond frustrated!! I am an ex smoker (Smoked for 8 years and I have been smoke free for almost a year and half) I have done very well with not going back to smoking and I'm so proud of myself.  Today I almost broke down and bought a pack.... Thankfully I took a step back and realized that a cigarette isn't going to make Sean sleep, it's not going to solve the problem at hand, there for I don't need one.  Instead I took a few moment to gather myself and calm down, i knew at this point Sean was feeding off my negative energy and this wasn't good for either one of us.  I couldn't wait to hear from my husband that he was on the way home, today was such a rough day and knowing he was going to be home soon made me feel better.   Well James called 20 minutes later than he usually does and tells me he got a call (Figures he's on call the week I start sleep training) and he was headed back to work.  It's 8:15pm here and he still isn't home :(
I wasn't happy that I was going to have to do Sean's sleep routine by myself, but life has to go on.  I put a happy face on and started our routine at 7:00pm and end right at 7:30pm.  Again as soon as I put him in his crib he started to scream.  But this time it wasn't as hard as the last to nights.  I check on him after 5 minutes and to my surprise he wasn't standing up like he usually does.  By 7:45pm he stopped crying, I waited for 5 minutes before going in to make sure sure he was asleep and sure enough he was.  Only 15 minutes! That calls for a big WOOHOOO!! Now I guess we will have to see how he sleeps *Fingers crossed*

I want to thank everyone who has been kind enough to send me your experiences and support, you have no idea how much it means.  Reading your comments and messages today kept me going. I felt hopeless today but you guys changed that! It's nice to know I'm not alone with this issue. So thank you so much! Love you guys!!! XOXO!


Post a Comment